Explore new foods away from family mealtimes. Too often we introduce new foods ready cooked, served up on the plate – a bit of a fait accompli. This kind of pressure can create a feeling of anxiety in a sensitive child. Take the time to explore new foods away from the table and treat it as a bit of fun. Use all the senses – touch, smell, sight, hearing as well as taste. For example, explore a kiwi fruit by:
– stroking and feeling its’ hairy skin
– brush it against the side of your face
– listen to what it sounds like when you rub the skin next to your ear
– cut it open widthways and see the seed formation
– cut it open lengthways and notice how the seed formation differs
– what shapes and patterns can you see?
– how does it feel – is it squidgy between the fingers?
– and finally, very much finally – how does it taste?
– peel it, slice it up or simply cut the top off and use a spoon.
Some foods are soft and squidgy – some are hard and crunchy. Just explore and have fun.